This is a great protein packed oatmeal breakfast that is served cold. It can be adjusted to make a larger serving or to make it the consistency you prefer best. It’s a fun and easy recipe to play with. It’s sweeter so kids like it too. Eating this for breakfast will keep you full till lunch. The oatmeal will be thick yet creamy with hints of sweet fruit. Great with a cup of your favorite coffee or tea. Perfect for a cool summertime breakfast.
- 1 cup of oats I use Bob Mills oats... gluten free version also available
- 1/2 -3/4 cup of vanilla almond or coconut milk*
- 1-2 T of chia seeds
- 1/3 cup of yogurt ** dairy free works ok too
- Dried fruit of choice (i.e. blueberries cranberries, goji berries, cherries, etc…)
- Fresh fruit (like strawberries blueberries or raspberries), optional, but good!
- Almonds pecans or walnuts, chopped, optional
- In your mason jar or container, pour in your oats.
- Add chia seeds, yogurt and milk.
- Mix well.
- Add about 1/8 cup of dried fruit. Mix again. (add nuts here too if added)
- The consistency should be thick but wet. If you need to add more milk, do so. The chia seeds and oats will soak up the moisture.
- Cover and place in fridge overnight… or at least 4-6 hours.
- In morning, top with fresh fruit and eat! (You can even take it on the go to work!)