The Best Gluten Free Tortillas
This recipe was originally from a website that no longer exists. Name is unknown. These are paleo-friendly and lower carb. The tortillas are pliable crepe-like and are DELICIOUS! They are pretty easy to make, store in fridge and very versatile. We usually use these for tacos or fajitas and sometimes breakfast tacos as well. Since this is such a favorite at home, I usually triple the recipe. My sons have made PB&J wraps for lunch with these and even pinwheels. Yum!I uses my medium size cast iron skillet but any medium sized skillet will give you a taco sized tortilla. If you have a large skillet, you could make these into burrito sized as well. The key to keeping these from sticking to your skillet is to use butter/ghee/oil on skillet before pouring more batter. Also, make sure the skillet is plenty hot before pouring batter. It should sizzle immediately upon pouring. If you are a on a larger/high heat burner, then medium to med-high heat works best.
- 1 Medium Skillet
- 1 Small-medium mixing bowl
- 1 Whisk or fork
- 1 cup egg whites I use egg whites from carton
- 4 Tbsp coconut oil, ghee or butter melted
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 2 1/2 Tbsp coconut flour
- 1/4 tsp real sea salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder OPTIONAL-if you want savory flavor
- Preheat a 9in skillet over med heat. Make sure pan is hot and add butter/oil/ghee to grease skillet
- In small-med sized bowl, add all dry ingredient and combine with fork or whisk
- Melt oil/ghee/butter but do not make it too hot!
- Add melted oil/ghee/butter AND immediately add eggsDo this while it's still mixing! Note: The batter will be quite thin.
- Use a 1/4 measuring cup to measure batter, then pour into hot skillet. TIP: Use handle of skillet to tip the skillet so that the you can swirl and move the batter around to the edges of the pan.
- Cook for 1 minute, then flip over and cook other side for about 45 sec - 1 min (will become golden brown)
- Eat as soon as finished or place on plate and stack until ready to eat. Note: if you put them in the fridge to store, you will either have to leave them out to become room temperature or warm for a 20 seconds in microwave.
- Store in air-tight container in fridge.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!